Thursday, May 5, 2011

Poison Ivy and Poison Oak Prevention

Are you one of those people who is afraid to cut grass or go out in the springtime in fear of coming in contact with Poison Ivy or Poison Oak?

The annoying and often painful rash is an allergic reaction to the oil in the plants. Poison Ivy itself is not contagious, but the oil is long lasting and can be transferred from objects, clothing or skin which have come in contact with it. Some people, who are very sensitive, do not even need to have direct contact with the oil to have symptoms. Burning the plants can also make the oil airborne, which may affect skin and lungs. The oil from a poison ivy plant can stay on a surface for 5 years.

If you think you have come in contact with Poison Ivy, Oak or Sumac, you should wash thoroughly with soap and water. It may be a good idea to remove any clothing immediately and wash them, so that no one else comes in contact with the oil on the material.

If you already know that you are sensitive to Poison Ivy or Oak you should use some preventive measures to avoid exposure, like wearing gloves and long sleeves when doing yard work or walking in wooded areas. Something else you should consider is building your immune system up so that your body is not as sensitive to outside stimuli. We have a couple of products which can assist you in this.

Homeopathic products, which have been used for centuries, are one way to help build up your tolerance of specific substances. We have a homeopathic, which can be used for prevention as well as treatment in the case of a reaction. If used as directed, the homeopathic could prevent a reaction completely, or reduce the duration and/or symptoms in the case of extreme exposure. If you are interested in finding out more about this product, stop by our office.

Nutritional products can also be beneficial in preventing allergic reactions. D-Hist, which is commonly used for sinus irritation and allergies, is also very beneficial in the prevention of allergic reactions, because it helps the body "toughen up" and not be as sensitive.

No comments:

Post a Comment